Tuesday, December 23, 2008

What a whirlwind

Wow, what a past few days this has been. Sunday night at around 6:00 PM, we heard and felt the crashing from more of the Oak. It didn't split, but the top part of the tree came down. John had already moved the cars earlier, because the tree guy said that it wasn't a matter of if the tree would come down, but when. It landed in front of our garage and part way into the front yard. Miraculously, our house is fine. It did land on our power line, and we lost most of our power and our heat the first night. I'm thankful that it happened before we went to bed, because I was a bit scared that it would happen while we were sleeping.

All of this has been quite an experience, and laying in bed I was thinking, that I bet my Oak in the backyard was from the mighty Oak that fell. That was kind of nice thinking that. It's funny how some people really just don't get my connection to the trees around me, but John was very supportive and understanding at how deeply I felt loss. I was going to try and explain it, but really, I don't think I need to, as people will draw their own conclusions anyways, if it's something they can't comprehend. But, it really gave me some comfort thinking about all of the trees around here that probably came from that one Oak. My father in law is going to take the wood for his fireplace, so that is very comforting as well!



We are back to normal now, but ..... as Chelsea Handler would say...."what a whirlwind!"



This is my view from my front porch.....


It got two of our bushes, and our light, but our mailbox survived......


A view from the street.......


3 comments:

Jay Andrew said...

OMG - I'm glad you are all OK. Not the best time for the power and heat to be off though.
Plant an acorn : )

Marsha said...

So this was the 2nd tree that fell? Geez what a whirlwind indeed.

Rebecca Grinder said...

So glad it didn't hit the house!