Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Heart 2014

My word for the New Year is HEART. To me heart is about loving God, others and all the creatures of the Earth. But I don't want the word to just  be what I usually associate with it. To me I want it to also be about this (taken from a website on Hebrew word meanings).....

 We often associate the heart with emotions such as love and kindness as in "He has a good heart". This is also true with the Hebrews who saw the heart as the seat of emotion. But unlike us they also saw the heart as the seat of thought whereas we see the brain as the seat of thought. To the ancient Hebrews the heart was the mind including all thoughts including emotions. When we are told to love God with all our heart (Deut 6:5) it is not speaking of an emotional love but to keep our emotions and all our thoughts working for him. The first picture in this Hebrew word is a shepherd staff and represents authority as the shepherd has authority over his flock. The second letter is the picture of the floor plan of the nomadic tent and represents the idea of being inside as the family resides within the tent. When combined they mean "the authority within". 


No comments: